Saturday, December 17, 2011

Giants Rival Mat Latos Traded out of the NL West

The Padres traded starter Mat Latos to the Reds for four players, including 2 prospects. I can't speak to who won this trade, short-term or long-term. But I do find Mat Latos to be a total piece of shit, so I'm writing about it.

I'd be interested to hear Dave Flemming's thoughts on it. Surely he'll be able to rest at ease when the Padres come to town this year, now that he knows Latos wont be there lobbing warm-up tosses towards his sun-roof. Latos pitched well against the Giants in 2011, compiling a 3.15 ERA in 3 starts against them. But ever since September 2010, when the G's beat him in two crucial games (including the deciding Game 162), I just haven't been afraid of him. Plus, who didn't pitch well against the Giants last year?

So on the one hand, a good pitcher is out of the NL West. That's a good thing. But he is a guy that I love to hate. A Zack Morris wannabe who is nowhere near as cool. And "Mat"? Come on. Where'd that second "t" go? Unless he was going for, like, Doormat. Yeah, that's probably it.

No comments:

Post a Comment