Monday, October 17, 2011

My Fairweather-ness is Being Exposed

New Feature idea: Left Coast Lean's "News of the Weird". In which writers profile obscure or weird sports stories around the West Coast. For example, today's post could be titled "News of the Weird: The 49ers Are Good at Football".

Look, I don't know a lot about football. I actually find it to be pretty boring at times. So in terms of watching a full game, I'm only good for a few of those per year. But if the 49ers continue on this roll their on, I might have to start blocking out 3 hours every Sunday to sit and watch. Because I like the 49ers when the 49ers win.

It seems pretty clear that this is not just a flash in the pan. They may have struck gold with Jim Harbaugh at the helm. It's just a remarkably better team than what we've seen in the past. The 49er teams I've watched over the previous 10 years or so were broken. Like I said, I'm no football guru, so I couldn't tell you the details of the "why" or "how". But it was a horrible product. I could tell. Now, something is different. Probably lots of things. Even with them down in the 4th quarter yesterday, I was confident they would get the win. The Lions were definitely not going to score again, and the 49ers definitely were going to score again. I was pretty confident in both of these things.

Congrats to Harbaugh on the great start. I think in football, compared to the other major sports, coaching has the most direct impact on wins and losses. Both in terms of play-calling and X's-and-O's-type stuff, and in having a personality that the rest of the team is comfortable with. If the players can relate to the coach, be comfortable asking questions, and that sort of thing, the players and team will grow and you will get better execution.

As far as Handshake-gate, I thought the Lions' coach grossly overreacted.

And that, my friends, is Mike the Menace on football. Good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment