Monday, March 7, 2011

The King's Speech

I am not talking about the Oscar winner for the best picture, although it was a damn good movie. I am talking about Lebron James. I can't stand the guy. If you know anything about me, you know that I created a "Lebron is a douchebag" facebook page shortly after "The Decision" and I never liked the guy to begin with. All the hype when he was playing on ESPN as a high school Junior just rubbed me the wrong way.

I want the Miami Heat to lose every single game they play, but obviously those expectations won't be easy to meet, so I can settle for 10-17 vs. teams over .500. I can also take great pleasure in their current four game losing streak. Two of those games were especially enjoyable as Miami blew leads of 15 and 24 before their crash and burn. Lebron addressed the team after he bricked another late game shot against Chicago yesterday saying"I told my team, I won't continue to fail late in games. I put a lot of blame on myself tonight. I told the guys that I just keep failing them late in games and I won't continue to do that." Clearly Lebron expected the rest of the league to lay down when he and Bosh joined D Wade in South Beach and that has not been the case. In fact it's quite the opposite. They have a giant red target on their back and nobody is scared, nobody is running away from them and plenty of teams take great pride in kicking their ass.

Lebron claims that he is convinced that he will stop choking in big games and I just don't buy that as anything more than lip service. If he hadn't quit on his team last season against Boston in the playoffs, when things got tough, I might believe him. If he had won a few more big games while in Cleveland, I might believe him. If he weren't an epic choker who is all show and no go, I might believe him. For now, I believe he is only a superstar when he plays against inferior competition and when he plays against opponents who do not fear him, he is nothing short of a glorified, overpaid choke artist.

I want him to fail. I can't be anymore blunt than that. I want nothing more than to see Miami exit the playoffs in the first round and honestly, as I sit here today, that's not impossible. More than anything else, I enjoy watching Lebron get his ass whipped and run away, tail between his legs, crying in the locker room. (Eric Spoelstra, Miami's head coach for those who have no clue who that is, said some of his players were crying after the loss to Chicago yesterday and I'd bet my money that he was speaking about Lebron) Some all star players can't hack it when things get tough and they thrive when things are easy. We are going to find out what Lebron is made of in the next few weeks and once the playoffs start. For now, I feel confident that Lebron and Miami are not mentally tough enough to handle the pressure they welcomed when they all got together with the expectations that they would walk to the NBA Finals without facing adversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment