Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Time to eat some crow


Some of you may remember my rant about the Niners draft picks this season. If you don't here is a quick recap.

"With the 7th selection in the 2011 NFL draft, San Francisco selects Aldon Smith (WHO????) Linebacker from Missouri. I would imagine 97% of Niner fans had no clue who that guy was. I would imagine 90% of us were still confused, pissed off and uncertain after John Clayton came out and said the guy projects as an excellent pick, even if he could have been taken 8-12 picks later in the draft. Quick fact check. Aldon Smith (Niners should never draft a guy with first initial A last name Smith ever again) played in all of 22 career college games and broke his leg at the end of last season) but has huge upside and great potential."

Well, before I eat crow, I understand that 7 weeks doesn't make a career, nor is it really a great sample of what a player will do for the remainder of his career. But, Aldon Smith has been a freakin' beast from the word go. He has provided what this team desperately needed and couldn't get from long armed Manny Lawson. A linebacker that good get to the QB and sack that fool! A guy who would play angry, learn fast, keep up with the pace set by Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman. I also expressed concern that SF needed help in the secondary and we should have drafted Prince Amukamara. Yes, the same Prince Amukamara who injured himself and has not been a factor in the 2011 season. Not only did SF draft a cornerback, but they got him late in the third round and didn't waste a pick on a guy who wanted big money and the guy has been nothing short of a stud! I have to give a lot of credit to GM Trent Baalke and recognize that there are plenty of reasons why he was hired as GM and I was hired as, well, a freaking blogger!! I want to take this opportunity to remind everyone reading this that I don't know shit! I only think I do and it's times like this that allow me to eat a slice of humble pie. I've been wrong before and I know for a fact this won't be the last time, but that won't stop me from having an opinion and talking loads of junk about my team, even when they are winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment